It is very important to use quality seed in seed production. Using quality seed can increase your yield between 5 and 20 percent. Using seed of lesser quality will introduce more weeds and off-types into your crop, make the crop more susceptible to disease, and produce plants that are weaker. By using quality seed, you will save money on the inputs to your crop and, because of higher yields; you will get more income or have more food for the family.
BENEFITS OF HIGH QUALITY SEEDS:
- That saves you money as you need less seed. Quality seed means a higher percentage of seeds emerge.
- There will be a minimum of replanting.
- The seed lings will be strong (or we say vigorous).
- The plant stand will be uniform.
- The plants will grow more quickly.
- There will be greater resistance to stress and diseases.
- There will be uniformity in ripening which means more uniformity in the harvested grain. There will be less mixture and that can mean a higher price in the market.